Vertical Blinds Buying Guide: Tips for Choosing the Perfect Set
If you want to combine function and style, then you've found the best vertical blinds buying guide. Vertical blinds are a great choice for any home decor, offering privacy and light control while also adding an interesting look to the space.
But with a wide range of options out there, how do you choose the best vertical blinds for your needs? Read on to learn about different types of vertical blinds and what factors to consider when making your purchase.
Benefits of Vertical Blinds
Before making a decision, let's explore the various benefits of vertical blinds in comparison to other popular window treatments such as Venetian blinds and horizontal blinds. The advantages include:
- Light control and privacy: One significant benefit of vertical blinds is their ability to effectively manage light levels in your space while offering ample privacy. Unlike horizontal slats found in Venetian blinds, these vertical alternatives grant you greater control over how much direct sunlight enters the room.
- Low maintenance: Boasting high functionality with minimal upkeep, vertical blinds are an excellent choice for busy households. Their easy-to-clean nature makes them stand out from other options, like horizontal blinds that may require more frequent attention.
- Versatility and suitability for large windows or sliding doors: Thanks to their adaptable design, vertical blinds can effortlessly cover a wide range of window sizes – from small bedroom windows to expansive floor-to-ceiling patio doors. With a variety of styles available in numerous materials, customizing your window treatment according to your decor preferences has never been easier.
- Aesthetic appeal: Combining practicality with visual allure, these modern and stylish window dressings come in diverse colours, textures, and patterns that suit any home décor.
Whether you're looking for an alternative to traditional Venetian or horizontal blind designs or want a functional yet fashionable solution tailored just for you - our guide on selecting the most exceptional vertical blind options caters perfectly!
Materials: Choosing the Right One
A crucial aspect of this vertical blinds buying guide is understanding the diverse range of materials available. Your ideal material will be influenced by several factors, such as window type and size, desired light control, and preferred aesthetics.
Panel track blinds
Panel track blinds offer a modern alternative to traditional vertical blinds. They are characterized by sliding fabric or woven wood panels that glide smoothly along a track system. These panel blinds can seamlessly blend with any interior design while providing privacy and adjustable light control.
Faux wood blinds
An excellent choice for glass doors and wide windows, faux wood vertical blinds strike a balance between style and practicality. More affordable than real wood, these easy-to-maintain options deliver exceptional insulation, light control, and privacy – all without sacrificing flair.
If you're seeking durability and effortless maintenance, metal blinds - particularly aluminum - are just the ticket. They excel in providing insulation, light control, and privacy. To ensure harmony with your existing décor, simply select a complementary colour.
PVC or vinyl
As one of the most sought-after choices, PVC or vinyl vertical blinds boast waterproof qualities and ease of cleaning. They work wonders for bathrooms and kitchens while offering superior light control, privacy, and insulation. However, they may not be as visually appealing as other materials.
For those yearning to add fabric-based elegance to their window treatments, these blinds come in an array of colours, textures, and patterns that can complement any home décor beautifully. While filtering light and ensuring privacy perfectly well; it's worth noting that fabric blinds may be more susceptible to dirt accumulation than other materials.
Wooden vertical blinds infuse warmth and sophistication into any room. Boasting excellent insulation, light control, and privacy, these blinds allow you to appreciate the picturesque outdoors through large windows – but keep in mind that they demand more maintenance than other materials and could be prone to wear over time.
Understanding the unique features of panel blinds, faux wood blinds, metal blinds (including aluminum), panel track blinds, PVC or vinyl options, fabric variants, and wooden alternatives is vital when choosing your perfect vertical blind solution. Ultimately, it's about finding that sweet spot between functionality and style for an enchanting living experience.
Colours and Patterns
Good news: there is a wide selection of colours and patterns for all types – whether it be designer vertical blinds, commercial vertical blinds, or even motorized ones! From textured neutrals to bold and vibrant colours, you can choose the perfect style to fit your home décor.
In knowing how to buy vertical blinds, choosing the right colour is vital to the overall look of your setup. Here are a few tips when choosing colours for blinds for windows, sliding doors, and more:
- Use the room's existing colour scheme as a guide, and choose complementary shades that will enhance the look.
- For versatility, you can opt for neutral colours such as tans, whites, and grays.
- If you want to make a statement, bright colours like reds, blues and greens will do the trick!
- You can also match the blinds' colour to accent pieces, such as furniture or artwork.
- Patterned Venetian blinds are a great choice if you want to add texture and interest to the room without overwhelming it.
Slats Size and Orientation
As with all blinds, shades, and shutters, the impact of slat size on the overall appearance and functionality of the window covering is significant. Vertical blinds come in a variety of sizes and orientations, allowing you to customize your setup for optimal light control.
There are differences between narrow and wide slats, including the following:
- Visual appeal: Narrow slats give a more contemporary look, while wide slats can provide a traditional feel. Even if it's a matter of preference, it's important to choose a size that will complement your space.
- Light control and privacy: For more light control, opt for wider slats, as they will block more light. Narrow slats, on the other hand, are more suitable for rooms that need less sunlight coverage. If you need more privacy, wider slats are the way to go, as they will give you greater coverage when closed.
- Suitability for various window sizes and types: Vertical blinds come in a variety of sizes and orientations, making them suitable for a range of window types. Narrow slats are better suited to more slender windows, while wide slats can be used on larger windows or even patio doors.
Based on your preferences, budget, and the type of window you have, it's important to choose the right size and orientation that will best suit your needs. Do you need a left or right stack? Will a headrail be needed? These are all critical questions to consider when selecting the right vertical blinds for your home.
Customization and Accessories
To those who love customization and upgrades: You'll find it easy to customize your vertical blinds with different colours and textures! Here's a quick list of tips for customizing your vertical blinds:
- If you want to conceal headrails, you can use valances or cornices, which offer a stylish and decorative look to your windows.
- To prevent tangling, you can opt for chainless bottom weights. This ensures a more streamlined look and improved functionality.
- You can also use motorization for easy operation of the blinds with just one push of a button! Just take note that motorized blinds require professional installation.
- For an extra touch of style, you can add decorative tape or trims to your vertical blinds. These are available in different colours and patterns, allowing you to customize your window treatment for a unique look.
Custom Blinds for Your Home
Since vertical blinds are an ideal option for adding style and functionality to your windows, it's important to understand how to pick one that suits your needs. Customizing them with different colours and textures is also a great idea for making your windows look more stylish and unique.
At Factory Direct Blinds, we have every type of window covering you may need. From mini blinds, horizontal blinds, window shades, and more – we have it all. Take advantage of our free samples that can help you decide on the best window covering for your home.
Be sure to find an accurate measure for vertical blinds before ordering so that you're sure to get the perfect fit and look! If you need assistance, our experts are here to help! Contact us today for more information about our products and services.
What is the best vertical blind to buy?
The best vertical blind to buy largely depends on your individual preferences and needs. Vertical blinds come in various materials, colours, textures, sizes, and more - so it's important to do some research before deciding on the perfect one for your home.
What do I need to know about vertical blinds?
When shopping for vertical blinds, consider the size and shape of your window. Think about what kind of fabric or material you would like and any additional features such as decorative tapes or trims.
What is the advantage of S-shaped vertical blinds?
S-shaped vertical blinds are an ideal option for windows with a unique shape since they can be bent in multiple directions to fit any contour. They also offer better light control than other types of window treatments, as well as improved privacy and insulation.
Is a wand or chain better for vertical blinds?
The wand is often considered the better option for vertical blinds because it offers more control over light and privacy. The chain, on the other hand, can be prone to tangling and may not provide as much control over the slats.