How to Choose the Best Blinds for the Kitchen
When it comes to choosing the best blinds for your kitchen, there are a few things to consider. Here are a few things to look for:
- Durability—Because of the environment they will be in, the blinds you choose for your kitchen must be durable. The windows above the kitchen sink and close to the stove encounter a lot of heat and moisture every single day, so it’s important that they’re strong enough to withstand this. Ideally, the blinds in your kitchen will be resistant to damage from extreme heat and water and won’t bend or warp. Wood blinds would not work well in kitchens. However, if you like the look of wooden blinds, faux wood blinds are an excellent alternative.
- Non-fabric—When it comes to kitchen window treatments, it’s important to avoid blinds made out of certain fabrics. Some fabrics stain easily and can absorb the various odors and scents that come from cooking, so it’s best to choose blinds made out of PVC or vinyl, such as our faux wood blinds or roller shades.
- Light-blocking—The sun’s harsh rays can be damaging, so it’s important that your blinds provide sufficient protection from UV rays. After all, the kitchen is where you and your family will spend a lot of your time, so you’ll want to make sure you’re protected. What’s more, all that sunlight could be damaging to your cabinets and kitchen furniture, which could fade with prolonged exposure to the sun, so light-blocking kitchen blinds are a must-have.
- Easy to Clean—Because the kitchen is where we cook and eat our food, it’s important that we keep it clean and well-maintained. The same is true for the window treatments we have hanging in our kitchens. Just like your kitchen, which needs to be kept clean to prevent foodborne illnesses and accidents (such as slipping and falling from a spill), your kitchen’s blinds need to be cleaned regularly as well. You’ll need to clean them often, so opt for blinds that are easy to clean without taking them down. Add this to your list of home maintenance items that can be done in an afternoon.
- Privacy—We spend a lot of our time in the kitchen, whether we’re cooking, eating, talking or just relaxing (while staying within arm’s reach of the fridge), so it’s important to choose blinds that provide sufficient privacy. Take a look at your existing window treatments. How much privacy do they provide? To find out, conduct a privacy test. When it’s dark out, turn on your kitchen lights and go outside to see what neighbors can see through your windows. You might be surprised by how much you can actually see. If privacy is a concern for you and your family, opt for blinds that are made of materials that prevent people from seeing into your home but still allow some light in, such as roller shades or Roman shades.
- Complements Decor—Last but not least, when shopping for blinds for your kitchen, make sure they complement the surrounding decor. For inspiration, take a look at the decor in your kitchen. Look at the color of the walls and your cabinets, the style of your appliances and other design elements in your kitchen to determine what you’ll need design-wise. If your space is mostly black and white, then you may want to select blinds that add a pop of color to your kitchen. However, if you’re looking for something simpler but still stylish, go for something neutral, such as our bamboo blinds, which work well with virtually any design style and are suitable for the kitchen.
With these considerations in mind, you’ll be able to find blinds that are suitable for your kitchen, easy to maintain and complement the rest of your home’s design. Still unsure about which blinds will work best? Contact the experts at Factory Direct Blinds! We’re happy to answer any questions you may have and will be glad to help you find kitchen window treatments that are beautiful and functional.