Choosing the Best Blinds for the Living Room
Here are a few things to look for when choosing the best blinds for your living room:
- Correct Size and Shape—One of the most important things to consider when choosing blinds for your living room is the size and shape of your windows. If you have wide windows or a sliding glass door, then vertical blinds will work best. However, if your windows are narrower, then horizontal blinds or a window shade might be the best option for you. You may also want to select blinds based on which direction your windows are facing.
- Won’t Be Damaged by Light—Think about the windows in your living room and consider how much light comes through them. If your windows are in an area that is exposed to sunlight and doesn’t have any trees to block out the sun, then you’ll want to completely avoid fabric blinds, as these can fade with prolonged exposure to sunlight. You may want to avoid wooden blinds as well as these can eventually warp and fade when exposed to the heat from the sun’s rays. If you like the classic style that wood blinds offer, then faux wood blinds might be your best option.
- Protect Furniture from Fading—A common problem that many homeowners face is their furniture fading in the sunlight. Natural light improves the look of any room, causing it to appear larger, brighter and more inviting. What’s more, it can also improve your mood and make you more productive. However, constant exposure to the sun’s UV rays will actually damage your furniture and cause it to fade over time. If you want to get the most out of your furniture, then it’s important that you choose blinds or other window treatments that will protect it from prolonged exposure to the sun. Roller shades are particularly effective at filtering out light and preventing fading, and will also help you save energy by keeping the heat from the sun out of your home. Keep in mind that in order for your furniture to be completely protected, the entire window must be covered.
- Prevent Glare—If you’re like most people, you’ve probably experienced the annoying glare from the sun that shows up on your screen while you’re trying to work on the computer or watch your favorite show on TV. The best solution for this is to invest in blackout shades, such as wood woven shades or bamboo blinds, which are neutral in color, aesthetically appealing and will help prevent sunlight from getting in.
- Complement Decor—When shopping for new blinds, it’s important to consider the rest of the decor in your living room. Look around your living room and the rest of your interior decor for inspiration. Most interior designers recommend having a primary color, an accent color and neutral tones to complement both. Faux wood blinds and woven wood shades are excellent options that work well with many different styles.
- Easy to Clean—Before you make a final decision on blinds, it’s important to consider whether or not you’ll be able to easily clean and maintain them. For example, blinds with narrow slats can be difficult to dust and wouldn’t be suitable for rooms where dust and pet dander are often stirred up, such as in the living room. Instead, look for horizontal blinds that can be easily wiped down. If you prefer vertical blinds, look for styles that can be easily removed and wiped down or dusted.
If you’re not sure which blinds to install in your living room, look to the experts at Factory Direct Blinds for help. We’re happy to answer any questions you may have and get you well on your way to enjoying beautiful new blinds in your home.